Monday, January 14
6:00pm - 6:30pm
Galion Middle School Computer Lab
Recommend to establish the following 2019 Board of Education Regular Meeting dates:
Day: 3rd Tuesday of every month
Time: Typically has been 6:30 p.m.
Location: Typically Galion Middle School Computer Lab
January 14, 2019
February 19, 2019
March 19, 2019
April 16, 2019
May 21, 2019
June 18, 2019
July 16, 2019
August 20, 2019
September 17, 2019
October 15, 2019
November 19, 2019
December 17, 2019
Recommend to establish the following 2019 Board of Education special meeting dates to provide the opportunity to discuss Board business in a work session format and to transact any business that the Board determines necessary.
The following meetings will be held in the Galion Middle School Computer Lab and begin at 6:30 p.m.:
Tuesday, March 5, 2019
Tuesday, June 4, 2019
Tuesday, August 6, 2019
Recommend to establish a date for the District Records Commission Meeting, as follows: (Statutory members are the President and Treasurer of the Board and the Superintendent of Schools).
Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 5:45 PM. This meeting will take place prior to the Regular Board of Education Meeting in the Galion Middle School Media Center. Local Government Records Suggested Retention Periods were revised in 2017. The revised schedule is attached for review prior to the meeting.
1. Authorize the Treasurer to secure advance payment on current collection of taxes.
2. Authorize the Treasurer to invest all funds in allowable investments and financial instruments.
3. Authorize the Treasurer to pay all bills per limits established and authorized by appropriation resolution.
4. Appoint Treasurer as designee to attend public records training on behalf of board members (with the exception of newly elected board members).
5. Authorize the Treasurer to compensate board members, according to current Board Policy, in an amount equal to the maximum allowable compensation permitted by law.
6. Authorize that Board members may participate at their own expense in group health, dental, vision, and life insurance plans provided to employees of the district as permitted by Ohio Revised Code 3313.202.
7. Authorize the approval of new Galion City School Board Member training, OSBA training or other education-related training workshops, to exclude the OSBA Annual Capital Conference, and Board member training reimbursements, when eligible.
8. Authorize the Superintendent, during periods when the Board is not in session, to make offers of employment directly to candidates for either teaching or non-teaching positions on behalf of this Board and to acknowledge acceptance as such offers on behalf of this Board, subject to a subsequent vote or ratification by this Board; provided however, that upon ratification of this Board, the employment shall be deemed effective as of the date and time of the employee’s acceptance of the Superintendent’s offer.; however, the Board of Education shall not be required to employ or continue to employ an individual who has not provided a criminal records check satisfactory to the Board, or who had not satisfied any other prerequisite to employment created by law or Board Policy.
9. Authorize the Superintendent, during periods when the Board is not in session, to accept resignations which have been submitted by employees, subject to ratification by this Board; provided however, that upon ratification by this Board, such resignations shall be deemed effective as of the date and time of the Superintendent’s acceptance.
10. Authorize the Superintendent to serve as the purchasing agent for the school district.
11. Authorize the establishment of a service fund in the amount of $5,000.00 to be a part of the General Fund for fiscal year 2019 (2018-2019 school year), in accordance with Section 3315.15 of the Ohio Revised Code. The Board believes it is important to demonstrate appreciation to its employees. The Board authorizes the Superintendent to identify unique means of demonstrating the Board's appreciation. The following are examples of forms of this appreciation, but is not limited to: refreshments, small gifts, plaques, awards, and flowers.
12. Authorize the Superintendent, without further action by said Board, to apply on behalf of said district, to participate in any State or Federal grants, projects or programs for which approval by said Board is required. Authorize the Treasurer to pay stipends in the amount specified to Community Members/Staff Members when authorized by grant applications.
Recommend to designate the following Board Member appointments for the 2019 calendar year, as follows:
1- One (1)- Legislative Liaison- DENNIS LONG
2- One (1)- Delegate and One (1) Alternate to the Ohio School Boards Association Annual Conference- GRANT GARVERICK - DELEGATE; BRIAN OWENS - ALTERNATE
3- One (1)- Student Achievement Liaison- BRIAN OWENS
4- One (1)- Pioneer Career Technology Center School Board- Dennis Long (appointment for a 3 year term- see attached) DENNIS LONG
5- One (1)- Representative and One (1) Alternate- GEA Labor Relations Committee- BRIAN OWENS - REPRESENTATIVE ; MIKE MATEER - ALTERNATE
6- One (1)- Representative and One (1) Alternate- OAPSE Labor Relations Committee- GRANT GARVERICK - REPRESETATIVE ; MIKE MATEER - ALTERNATE
7- One (1)- Audit Committee- DEBRA DONALDSON
8- One (1)- Policy Committee- GRANT GARVERICK AND DEBRA DONALDSON
Recommend to designate District newspapers as the Galion Inquirer and Newspaper Network of Central Ohio.
Recommend to approve the following list of firms to be utilized for legal counsel for the Galion City School District for the calendar year 2019.
MOTION TO ADJOURN -